Arial – (What if you worked at a fast food restaurant and realized that 45% of the food sold that day was contaminated and would result in injury/death? What if you were an inspector and realized that 45% of the product you inspected would fail over the next few weeks and would result in injury/death? What if you knew that 45% of the people in your day to day life had come to the wrong conclusion about their faith and it would cost them much more than their life?)
The statistics American Christianity has become …
About 70% of Christians say that many religions can lead to eternal life, the remaining 30% believe that there is no way to get to heaven but through Jesus.
Just under 70% of Christians say that there is more than one true way to interpret Christian teachings. The left over 30+% say that there is only one way to interpret Christian teachings. (That could be a problem. How am I to know we both mean the exact same thing when I speak of salvation? Perhaps my definition follows exactly with the Bible and somebody who believes that there is more than one interpretation would greatly disagree.)
A third of Christians say that the Bible is literally true, each and every word. A third of Christians say that the Bible is true, but not exactly each word. A third of Christians say that the Bible was written by men and is not the Word of God.
Almost 65% of Christians tells us that religion is very important. Some 25% said it was somewhat important. Everybody else was of the opinion that religion was not important.
Yet nearly 80% of Christians have an absolute belief in God.
(These numbers resulted from averaging out the Christian denominations that agree on Jesus, I didn’t see a point adding in the results from Christians who think Jesus isn’t really Jesus. That sort of takes the Christ out of Christianity. Numbers were taken from the pew forum survey of some 27,480 Christians.)
Averageing out the results, I’ve come to the conclusion that roughly 45% of Christians are in trouble as they’ve built their theological house on sand, and the 60% of us who say that the Bible is pretty much true know how that story ended.
The Bible says that:
John 14:6-7, “6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.””
Matthew 19:23-24, “23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.””
2 Timothy 4:3-4, “3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.”
Matthew 7:13-14, “13”Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”
Luke 13:22-24, “22Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”
He said to them, 24″Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.”
45% is much too close to half. Christians were once a few hundred members of the way. Now Christians are hundreds of thousands in hundreds of denominations. If these 27,500 people are an indication of what the majority of us feel, then we are in trouble indeed. Are you among the few who really believe what you really believe? Are you considering joining the 45% until you’ve become a 51% majority? Few indeed.
80% of us say that our belief in God is absolute, but a third of us say that the Bible is written by men and is therefore untrue.
65% of us say that our religion is very important, but 70% of us say that any old religion can lead to eternal life.
80% of us say that our belief in God is absolute, but 70% of us say there is more than one way to interpret the bible.
60% of us say that the Bible is basically true, but 70% of us say that there is more than one way to interpret it.